Permanent Water Saving Rules
PWSR are in place to alleviate the stress household water use places on Victoria’s water resources. They are designed to reduce unnecessary water use and promote efficiency without restricting your options.
Our Permanent Water Saving Plan and associated rules are in accordance with the Water Restrictions By-Law 513 (PDF, 1,869kB) as approved by the Minister. Under PWSR:
- Sprinklers or automatic watering systems can be used after 6pm and before 10am
- Handheld hoses can be used any time if a trigger nozzle is attached
- Brooms or blowers should be used to clean hard surfaces
- Use a bucket or handheld hose with trigger nozzle to clean cars and other vehicles
- Fountains and water features must recirculate water.
Please note: These rules will not apply in the case of an accident, fire, safety hazard or emergency in respect to the health of people or animals.
You can apply for an exemption from PWSR for the establishment of warm season grass by completing the PWSR Exemption Form.
Leaking taps should be fixed as soon as possible.
Current water restrictions
There are currently no towns in Goulburn Valley Water's service area on staged water restrictions - all residents must follow the Permanent Water Saving Rules.
Enforcement and penalties
Permanent Water Saving Rules are enforced under the Water Act.
If you see someone breaching the rules, please contact us with the details of the offence and one of our officers will investigate. Official warnings and on-the-spot fines can be issued for offences, while serious breaches may result in prosecution.
For more details, download our PWSR Brochure, or for tips on how to conserve water visit our FAQ page.