Building and renovating

If you are building a new structure or altering an existing structure on your property, we need to know.

Goulburn Valley Water own and maintain hundreds of kilometres of sewer reticulation mains that often run within our customers' properties.

These assets are covered by easements which are usually noted on your property title, if not they are covered by easements under the Water Act 1989.

Before building or construction of your new structure begins it's important to gain our written consent, in addition to applying for a building permit with your local council.

A structure may include the following:

  • garage or shed
  • carport
  • verandah
  • decking
  • in-ground pool or spa
  • above-ground pool
  • water tank
  • tennis court
  • embankment
  • fencing
  • or other structure.

Goulburn Valley Water does not allow any structure to be constructed over a water main.

Please see our Policy Matrix (PDF, 94kb) for a further detailed look at what structures may or may not be acceptable.

Prior to submitting your application, we encourage you to contact the Property Services Team to obtain asset location information by phoning 5832 4640, or you can submit an online request.

To apply for approval for your structure (outside of an easement) please submit an online building application. 

To apply for approval for a structure over or adjacent or corporation works (over an easement) please submit a build over easement application

Any application for consent for structure over or adjacent to corporation works is subject to our approval and applicable fees for the application.

Erecting a structure

Before you design a new structure please read our new structure matrix which outlines the circumstances we will approve, consider or refuse applications.

If you are planning to erect a structure on or over an easement, or within 1m of our assets, you will need to apply for consent. Our preference is that you design your structure so that access to our assets is not compromised however if this is not possible you will need to apply for our consent prior to beginning construction.

Your application form must be submitted with a site plan detailing the property boundaries, existing development and proposed works with all relevant dimensions. You may apply to replace or relocate sewers to accommodate your design however these costs will be entirely borne by you and are subject to our approval. 

We will advise you, in writing, of the outcome of your application and any conditions which may be attached if approval is granted.

Dial before you dig

If you are planning on undertaking any type of excavation activity, it is important to be aware of hazards and underground assets at the site.

Dial Before You Dig is a free referral service for information about underground pipes and cables Australia-wide. To find out if there is anything that may impact your works simply dial 1100 or visit the Dial Before You Dig website