Applying for consent to discharge trade waste involves submitting an application form, providing any relevant information and the payment of applicable fees to Goulburn Valley Water.

Every business that discharges wastewater other than domestic wastewater into our sewer network must have a trade waste consent or agreement with us.

These consents or agreements will contain the specific terms and conditions under which your trade waste will be accepted.

It is an offence Under the Water Act 1989 for a person to cause or permit the discharge of trade waste to the sewerage system other than in compliance with a trade waste discharge consent or agreement.

Occupiers of premises which run businesses that are or are similar to the following must apply for trade waste discharge consent or agreement:

  • Restaurants/take away or fast food
  • Butchers
  • Bakeries
  • Carwashes/Premises with vehicle or parts wash bays
  • Service Stations
  • Laundries
  • Food processing industries
  • Manufacturing industries
  • Aged Care facilities
  • Hospitals
  • Any premise with a commercial kitchen

You can apply for trade waste discharge consent by completing the Commercial Trade Waste Consent Application Form or make application for an industrial trade waste agreement by completing the Industrial Trade Waste Agreement Form, If you are unsure, please contact us on 5832 4800. 

 Our Business Customer Service team will provide a response to all applications for trade waste consent or agreement within 10 business days of receiving the application to indicate;

  1. Whether the application has been accepted or rejected or accepted with amendments; or
  2. Where a longer period is required to assess the application, when a decision will be made and an explanation for the longer period; or
  3. Where further information is required to enable a full assessment and what further information must be provided by the applicant.

All works associated with the connection of pre-treatment devices and related infrastructure must comply with AS/NZS 3500, GVW's Conditions of Connection and Victorian Water Supply and Sewage Plumbing Regulations.

For assistance with completing your application or if you have any questions, please contact us on 5832 4800 or